It might be difficult to attract big-name talent to tiny businesses. You can level the playing field and compete for top talent with a few innovative recruitment methods on your side. Although the best applicants are more inclined to apply to companies whose names they already know, this should not deter you. To get their attention and uncover what they’re searching for in a career and office culture, all you need is a little inventiveness.
Although recruiting isn’t an exact science and there’s no one-size-fits-all solution, combining the power of the Internet with face-to-face connection can be a winning mix. Instead of simply posting your job openings on internet job boards and hoping for a torrent of hit-or-miss resumes, go inventive. Start with these unique, out-of-the-box recruitment methods such as Ploy. The long-term benefits will outweigh the short-term costs.
- Spend time online with your ideal candidates. If you’re looking for a new IT specialist, you’ll need to “live and hunt” on technology blogs or question-and-answer sites like the Stack Exchange network. You want to be in the same room as the people you’re looking for.
- Participating in interactive interviews and forums, such as Reddit’s Ask Me Anything, to get your company’s vision and personality out there, is another option. These are just a few examples, but they illustrate how you should approach connecting with your target candidates.
- It’s also a good idea for small businesses to go through industry blogs and message forums. They can be really useful in assisting you in determining what your prospective candidates are discussing and what matters to them in a less formal setting.
- Host a hiring happy hour at your place of business. Hosting an onsite “hiring happy hour” for those interested in joining your team is a terrific opportunity to showcase your brand. Make sure that all of your hiring managers are present to perform on-the-spot informal interviews.
- Re-engage qualified candidates from the past. It’s typical practice to inform job applicants that their resume will be kept on file for future consideration. Seek out previous finalists and individuals who have previously contacted you about job positions to see if they are still interested.
- Use email marketing and social media where appropriate to re-engage candidates from your database that you’ve established over time. Recognize that it’s been a while since you’ve spoken with them and inquire whether they’re thinking about making a move now or in the near future.
- Create a recommendation program for your employees. The employee recommendation program isn’t a new kid on the block when it comes to innovative recruitment methods.
Make use of startup showcases such as Ploy. It’s one of the distinguished platforms to help you with starting up your company. It showcases behind the scenes glimpse at your company’s culture and atmosphere. Though it began as a showcase for startups, it is today used by many larger and more established organizations to demonstrate their culture.